Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Time Travel Agency and a Unique Way to Pick Groups

For the last couple of years, I've been having the students create a presentation in which they are a time travel agent. They are assigned to a decade from 1900-1909 through the nineties. I've chosen groups, had self selected groups, assigned decades, and had them choose. This year I wanted to do something different and I was really happy with the outcome.

Choose Your Seat. Choose Your Destiny.
At the beginning of the day, I decided how many groups there would be and the number of students per group. All classes have assigned seats. It just makes it easier for everyone to know where to go when they come into the room. On the board, I had the image at the right projected. 

For each person, I wrote out a sticky note with a decade listed and attached it to the bottom of the chair. After I went over the basics of the project, I had them reach under the chair to find their assignment. Then they found who were their group members. They seemed to like the whole process.

Time Travel Agency
The project is based on an idea I found on the Internet. The links listed in The Quest section no longer lead to the correct web page. I have them bookmarked in the school's Delicious account. [Note: I need to back up all the links to the school's Diigo account just in case Delicious suddenly disappears.]

We will be using our new Google Apps for Education account to create the presentations online with collaborative editing. The students have their Diigo Education accounts to save links.They used the Diigo account earlier in the year to share links for a map of Robinson Crusoe's journey.


I have the forms I use with my students on my projects wiki






Image Citations:
Photos by Ann Oro. Screen capture from ActivInspire flipchart.

No comments:

Post a Comment