Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Making Sample WordPress Pages Private

When I installed the Avada WordPress theme, I chose to install all the sample pages so that I could compare what I wanted to do with the examples from the maker of the template. Now that the site is live, I do not want the 404 error page to display the samples pages.



First Thoughts
I know I have to back up the WordPress site, so my first thought was to back up the files and restore files as I needed them. Then I began to think about simply making the pages drafts. As I was going to do that I noticed the option to make pages private. This will have three benefits. I can get to them easily, if someone at the school goes to change pages they will be able to just look at our published files, and I can quickly go to the private files to see the codes used in sample pages.

Making a Page Private
Step 1: Go to the WordPress Dashboard and choose Page - All Page. 

Step 2: Select the page you want private, for example Animated Counters, and edit the page.



Step 3: On the right side of the WordPress page, locate the Publish options. Click the Edit button next to the word Public.



Step 4: Changed the radio button from Public to Private, then click OK, then click the Update button.



Step 5: When you go back to the Dashboard and look at All Pages the page (Animated Page) will now have the word Private following the name. In addition at the top of the list of pages you can filter the list by clicking Published, Draft, or Private.


No comments:

Post a Comment