Monday, November 5, 2007

Do I Need a Second Life?

I have to be honest. It intrigues me. I hear people writing "SL anyone". I wanted, of course, to know what it was all about. So back in September, I signed up and downloaded Second Life onto my computer. I had no idea what it was.

I assumed it was some sort of game. Having experienced a Massive Multiuser Online Role Playing Game (MMORPG) in Runescape, I thought I knew what I was in for. I signed up for a Runescape account two years ago when my then end-of-the-year fifth grader wanted to play. It was fun. I got sucked in for most of th summer.

When I first logged in to Second Life, it was certainly "prettier" than Runescape. I got the idea that I needed to learn to move around, but after spending a half hour or so, I put it away.

Over the course of the last couple of weeks, I've been listening through Kevin Jarrett and Sylvia Martinez on the K12 Online Presentation "Second Life: K-20 Educators Exploring Virtual Worlds. It is very interesting to understand that it is NOT a game. It's a virtual world to interact with others. I can see the draw of being able to move around and interact with people. I'm still trying to figure out how it would enhance life for me.

Certainly, it would be interesting to go there if something is only happening through Second Life. I won't know until I try it. So, I'm back again. I created a new person and started over through the Ben and Jerry Welcome Center. I figure that I'll spend time now and again there and if by the time NECC comes around and people use it, I'll be ready.

I've been to UStream sessions, WorldTechTalks, Twitters, RSS, and Blogs. Each have their own draw. I'm sure I'll find the same with Second Life. I'll report back as I learn more.

1 comment:

  1. Hello Ann! Found you and this blog via your twitter exchange with Lisa Parisi. I would love to connect with you regarding Second Life. Are you going to the Kean Education 2.0 conference in November? Here is the link:

    http://cie.kean.edu/CIE/Education_2.0.html

    I will be there, presenting in fact, once on SL and once on tween social networking, with my 12 year old daughter. Would be great to see you there!

    Anyway, friend me in SL when you get a chance - unless you have already and I'm getting your avatar confused with someone else's!

    Also, just FYI, I run a free residence hall of sorts for K-20 educators in SL ... you can have a place to "live" for two months, no charge at all, no cactches, other than we want you to blog about the experience, which you are already doing! :) Email me for more info!

    -kj-

    ReplyDelete