Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Free Access to Encyclopædia Britannica for Bloggers

Back on April 20, 2007, I read a post at The WebFooted Booklady blog. I followed her link, and registered for a passcode to use the Encyclopædia Britannica for a year. This will not only be of value to me as a blogger, but as a mom. We have a set of encyclopedia's from around 1970 which we use for research. A lot has changed in the world, but if you want to know about Teddy Roosevelt, they're still worth something. There are times, of course, that more current information is required and it's nice to have something extra to refer to after a look at the Wikipedia or the Simple Wikipedia (which I prefer my sons to use).

A Sample

I have not really spent too much time on computer history this year in computer class. This is one of the benefits of teaching students for nine years. What I don't get to this year can certainly come up next year. From time to time, I'll talk about big old machines like ENIAC
. With this subscription to Encyclopædia Britannica, I can simply point to the full article. Even if you don't have a subscription, you can still click on the following link and read the whole article.

Electronic Numerical Integrator and Computer

Keep Your Eyes Open
Here is one benefit of blogging that was not immediately apparent when I started out: companies are leveraging the voice of bloggers to promote their tools and they are willing to offer a year of free service.

I had an opportunity earlier in the year to request a year of premium service to Yugma. I used it once in a test with Chris, but have not had an opportunity to use it since. I am hopeful that I will be able to collaborate over the summer with other online educators and use it then.

So keep your eyes and hears open for these opportunities. I know I am.


Castejón, Antonio Carlos. "
Encyclopædia Britannica." Antonio Carlos Castejón's photostream. 2008 Feb 3. 2008 Apr 29.
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2202/2238661745_fd0d3a0fd7.jpg?v=0



2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the mention of my blog. If you're looking for someone to practice Yugma with I too have a free account but have had no opportunity or time to use it yet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ann,

    I just wanted to make sure that you were invited to our education "Blogger Summit". We hope you can make it and feel free to share this invitation with any other bloggers in the area that might be interested. The invitation is attached below.

    Alex
    ED In '08 Blogger Summit

    --------------------------------

    Strong American Schools is excited to announce the ED in '08 Blogger Summit. Conference details are as follows:

    May 14th - 15th
    Palomar Hotel, Washington DC
    Registration is Free!

    An opening reception is scheduled on the evening of Wednesday, May 14th. Cocktails and hors d'oeuvres will be served before the screening of a new documentary film on education, Two Million Minutes. A Q&A session with the filmmakers is set to follow.

    Then join us for an all-day conference on May 15th. Nowhere else will you have an opportunity to meet and network with fellow education bloggers, participate in panels, attend workshops, and help tackle some tough questions on the state of education in America.

    Space is limited, so be sure to RSVP today!

    Register at http://edin08.com/bloggersummit/

    ReplyDelete