Wednesday, September 24, 2008

KidPix 4 Stickers Working

Do you use KidPix 4? Have you been having trouble getting the stickers and animations to work on OS X or Windows since Quicktime has been upgraded on your machines? Well, I have good news for you!

Every so often, I go to the Kid Pix Deluxe 4 (School Edition) support page. This week I had the news I have been waiting for. They have an upgrade to version 4.1 which fixes the problem. I downloaded the ZIP file for OS X and installed it. Everything is back and working again.

I'm so happy because now I can do one of my beginning of the year projects for third grade. We complete a ABC chart of one sticker per letter of the alphabet. It is a great exercise in placing, resizing, deleting, and flattening stickers, and using the save and replace command every few stickers.

3 comments:

  1. I saw your post on Kid Pix. I recently upgrade our Kid pix to 4.1. on Mac OSX 10.5.6 computers. I also did the terminal permissions fix that is suggested at the support site but the teachers still complain of lots of freezing in Kid Pix. Are you seeing the same thing? Do you use a network version or do you have it installed on each computer? I really would like to get kid pix to be more reliable. We have developed so many lessons that we just can't use any more. Any hints?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a lot of freezing problems with Kid Pix. It seems most pronounced on the Intel machines running OS X 10.4. It does not seem to have the same problem on the PowerPC Macs in my room. I have two Intel 10.5, six Intel 10.4, and eight PPC 10.4 machines

    The permission fix has not seemed to help with reliability. The only thing I can offer as a hint is to use the keyboard shortcut to save (Command+S) when it seems frozen. You can still save a file even though the other tools do not work. When you restart, the student can at least resume work from the point that the machine froze.

    I used to use Kid Pix with substitutes in the room. I can't any more because of the freezing issues. It's more trouble than it is worth.

    If I learn any more, I'll eventually post it here. Please write again if you find a fix before I do.

    Thanks
    Ann

    ReplyDelete
  3. Installed Kid Pix 4 on Intel iMac OS 10.5 machines in Computer Lab and did the Kid Pix web site sticker fix. I am having freezing issues which makes using this for projects or fun unreliable. We also have a lot of fun projects which we feel we may need to discontinue. Has anyone found a fix for the freezing problem? Please post here is you do. Would love to find a fix.

    ReplyDelete