Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Two Worthwhile TED Talks

Yesterday, I viewed two TED Talks on my iPod as I was waiting for my son's karate lesson to conclude. They are so interesting, I wanted to share them here.

Temple Grandin
I enjoyed listening to Temple Grandin at the 2009 Celebration of Teaching and Learning in NYC. She spoke about many similar themes in her TED Talk: The World Needs All Kinds of Minds. I believe most teachers should listen to her talk and think about the logic in her words. It is important to be reminded about how the different needs of students reflect their inner workings. It is fascinating to think about the different types of genius that will be required to solve our world's problems.

Jamie Oliver
The second talk was Jamie Oliver's TED Prize wish: Teach every child about food. Many of us realize we do not do what is best for ourselves in our choices of food. I'm always looking for different themes to work our computer magic in class. He suggests if everyone taught three people to cook a good meal, and they each taught three people in short order we could teach the whole country. How awesome would it be to make a cooking show within the computer lab? It's something to think about. You can learn more about his wish on his TED prize winning page.

Take some time to listen to these two talks. You might find some insight into your classroom and community.

Image Source:
West, Liz. "spring vegetables sc". Muffet's photostream. 2006 Apr 17. 2010 Mar 9.
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/51/130384035_0f47baddd6_m.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment