Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Tux Paint Installation

I have decided to install Tux Paint in the computer lab this year. I am going to use it in test mode and decide if it will make a good replacement for Kid Pix. Unfortunately, Kid Pix is operating very poorly on Snow Leopard (10.6).


Download and Installation
The download and installation are quick and easy. I go directly to the Apple Mac OS X Tux Paint Download page. One key is to download both the program and the extra stampers.


Configuration
An additional key step is running the configuration program. I have found, from the installation on the Windows XP tablet PCs, it pays to configure the system to Always Save New Picture under the Save Over Earlier Work category. I place a check mark in the Start Blank section. Finally, I place a checkmark in the Use Alternative Save Directory in the Save Directory category. I browse to the Document folder. Tux Paint created a Saved folder within Documents. All of these settings are on the Saving tab of the configuration program.



Next I go to the Video/Sound tab. I adjust the window size to fit the screen above the dock. On the tablet PCs I set the program to adjust to full screen.

Ideas To Test
My biggest concern is the lack of folders and the ability to use pre-made templates similar to those I prepared for the Idea Machine in Kid Pix. I think if I'm careful with a file naming convention I might be able to still have templates. I'll have to see how things are sorted when I open files. I'd like the youngest student's work to appear first on the list. 

Additionally, I may have to teach the students to rename their files. Right now Tux Paint assigns the date and time stamp as the file name.

I know a few teachers who use Tux Paint. I'll have to reach out to see what best practices are already in use around the world.

6 comments:

  1. Hi Ann
    We've been playing around with Pixie, from: http://www.tech4learning.com/pixie as a possible replacement for Kid Pics. We've found it runs well on 10.6. It isn't free though, but I thought it was worth mentioning it to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chrissy,
    Thanks for mentioning Pixie. I have Media Blender from the same company, but never thought about looking at Pixie. Although I have gotten really comfortable with Kid Pix, I think I have to look at alternatives. I'll take a look at it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the mention, Ann. Just so you know, if you ever have any questions, concerns or suggestions for Tux Paint, we're an email away! :)

    -bill!
    (lead developer of Tux Paint; though lately, mainly just the busy father of a preschooler)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bill,
    Thank you so much for the comment. I will take you up on the idea of sending an email. I am really amazed at what you have done with Tux Paint! Enjoy the preschooler time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had to respond, as I have both Tux Paint and Pixie installed on my computers at school. Tux Paint is good shareware, the kids enjoy it, but Pixie totally rocks! You can do so much more with Pixie, including super-easy audio recording and exporting in every format- image and multimedia.
    Tech4learning also has a new product out called Wixie that is an online version of Pixie so students can log in and work on their projects at home.
    You can try Pixie and Wixie for free. http://www.tech4learning.com/pixie and http://www.wixie.com

    Tech4learning is an amazing company who also provide tons of excellent resources on their website and have a ning http://connect.tech4learning.com where people share projects, etc.

    I didn't like the new version of KidPix (this was a few years ago) and was looking for a replacement. I downloaded the trial version of Pixie on my lab computers before buying it, but I knew after the first time the kids used it that it would be worth the money. I use it more than any other program.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Andrea, I'm so glad you responded. I am going to test Pixie and see if we can find funding. I use Kid Pix in K-8, so I know the money spent will be worth it. I didn't know about Wixie. I think there is a great benefit on being able to have the students log on from home to work on projects. I'll let you know how it goes.

    ReplyDelete