Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Prepping for ntcamp - Ideas Welcome

I'm going to ntcamp on July 24th at Boys Latin School in Philadelphia. I could offer the same topic as I did at EdCamp Philly. I may float that session, as well. Two days ago, I started a Google Site and I would appreciate some thoughts and additions.

Google Sites vs. Wikispaces
Usually I use Wikispaces. I'm giving Google Sites a try. It is ad-free automatically. I still like Wikispaces better. The URL is easier to hand out. It is easier to make it publicly editable. I know I can get an ad-free space for education, but I don't want to take advantage of their generosity too often.

The Session Idea
I am going to offer a session I'll probably call Free PD at Home. It's going to be a discussion of places teachers can go to learn online. There are various categories on the left side of the screen including Classroom 2.0 Webinars, Discovery Education, EdCamps, EdTechTalk, Global Education Conference, ISTE, iTunes University, K12 Online Conference, Podcasts, TED Talks, TEDx, Ustream, and other opportunities.


Do Me a Favor
Please go to the Google Site and see what I've used as resources. If you have a particular TED Talk, podcast, Ustream, or anything else, I'd like to add you as a contributor to the site. You can add your recommendation. The site is under a Creative Commons Attribution license.


This is under my Google Apps account for mrsoro.com. I would have made it public, but I haven't figured out how to do it...yet.



 
Image Citation:
Zannol, Guilio. "Street Creative Commons." Guili-O's photostream. 2009 Apr 7. 2010 Jul 13.
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3282/3421333361_7cdafc98da.jpg

6 comments:

  1. Free PD at home sounds like an awesome session for both new and experienced teachers. I'm sure I could learn a thing or two, since I haven't really tapped those resources at all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the feedback Dan. I think it could be a good session. I'm looking forward to seeing what others can contribute to my knowledge during the session. I'm looking forward to an interesting discussion.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this TEDtalk by Adora Svitak - What Adults can Learn from Kids
    http://www.ted.com/talks/adora_svitak.html
    (It's not really PD but it's inspiring and reminds us all what we do this for!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for the suggestion of the Adora Svitak TED Talk. I'm not just planning on talking about PD, but inspiration, too. It's why I included the Temple Grandin talk. I just spent the eight minutes watching Adora. It was not what I expected, but I enjoyed listening to her thoughts. It's why I am so glad I found TED Talks. It expands my world. I'm going to add it to the site.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Ann - I compiled a list of TED talks and resources in a wiki entitled, Teaching with TED - http://teachingwithted.pbworks.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jackie:
    Thanks for sharing that resource. What a compilation of additional support materials! I took a quick look just now and plan on spending a good deal of time looking around later. I will share it at ntcamp when we talk about the TED Talks.

    This is why it pays to ask for help through blog posts. I'm so glad you stopped by and left a comment.

    ReplyDelete