Tuesday, August 14, 2007

No Matter How Easy It Seems...


I've been playing around with Wikispaces for at least six months now. I taught sixth and seventh graders how to update a wiki. Last night I was showing four "grown ups" how to start an account for a school event. I realized that while it is easy to edit one page once everything is all organized there are a lot of considerations when starting up from ground zero.

So far, I've set up the wiki pages and had the students sign on with pre-made accounts.

Last night I got experience in having to walk people through creating new user names, creating a wiki from scratch, and associating all users with the wiki since it is not going to be pubic at this point. There were four people and four different reactions. It ranged from "ok, no big deal that's easy" to "I don't know if I can do this".

All in all, I am happy with the overall reaction. They are happy to have a collaborative workspace. They think it will help them going into the future. So now, I'm going to think through a few more details for working with adults. I also think I am going to have the older students make one from scratch.

Thank you also to David Warlick for his modeling of photo credits.

Image Citation:
Lunazzi, Paolo. “Light #2.” Blakie's Photostream. 10 Jan 2006. 14 Aug 2007 .

No comments:

Post a Comment